Feb 5, 2014

Wedding frenzy

I'm getting married in less than a fortnight. For almost the last three months, my family and I have been "preparing" for the wedding. Soon after the parents became involved in our relationship (i.e. maybe what one could call an unofficial Roka), I realised that fighting against a big fat wedding is a lost cause. So I decided to stop saying no to everything and enjoy the preparations. You may call that my excuse for splurging my parents' hard earned money ;)

The preparation - involving almost daily trips to various markets of Delhi - has become a so much a part of my routine, that I don't know what I'm going to do once it's over. In about two weeks, all the naach-gana band-baaja will be done. Then what?

I'd read somewhere that if we paid as much attention to planning marriages as we spend planning weddings, the world would be a better place (or something to that effect). Couldn't agree more! I'm not anxious about the wedding. But what bothers me...is that I can't picture our "marriage"...I mean, of course I'm thrilled that Aseem and I finally get to live together. But that also means moving out of 'home'. Moving away from everything that is familiar and known and comfortable and convenient. I feel like crying every time I think of all that's going to change. Forever. Does every bride feel this way? Does that make things any better for anyone?

No comments: