May 15, 2010

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinions. I am a firm believer in live-n-let-live. Despite trying very hard though, I just can't seem to digest the prejudices people have! And that too such unfounded prejudices. I have a tendency to take offence at the slightest racist comment. Somehow, it seems like a personal insult. 'Coz I know at least one person belonging to the culture/community/group in question. And the instinctive loyalty eggs me on. How can I let someone get away with such an insulting remark about HER/ HIM? I tend to take things too personally. I guess that's not the smartest thing to do. But then, how can I let someone get away with something I know has no basis in reality! Outrageous assumptions, or rather generalizations, from people about things they have no clue about just get to me!
Stereotypes that I'm most touchy about -
1. Homosexuality is abnormal.
2. Muslims cannot be trusted
And anything about
3. 'South Indians'
4. Women

Gettalife ALREADY!

4 comments:

Runjoo said...

as much as i hate statements like "you are too dark to be a south indian" or "you're a girl, what does it matter what you study?", stereotypes are inevitable- cant avoid it at ALL...every single one of us has them. maybe not as direct and blunt as the ones you mentioned, but we all have 'em. one of the golden truths of life ;)
awesome post...as always :)

Aditi said...

i knw i knw...v all hav 'em. but v all dnt let dem rule our lives. dat's the kinda prejudices i was talkin abt. i knw i hav it in my head that all cars registered in haryana n UP hav moronic drivers ;) but i dnt judge ppl on its basis. as in, not Real ppl.

Ranjani said...

i just re read my comment...and what i meant was "you're too fair to be a south indian"
lol!

bling said...

i agree man..n in d north..any1 south of MP r 'south indians'..dats also a generalization.
but what really puts me in the 'kuch nai ho sakta' mode is when people with 'good' upbringing, sound education and enough exposure also talk like that. u know what im talking about. sometimes i wonder what is it that can help people see sense. i somehow feel that only when you have been discriminated against knowingly or unknowingly for a prolonged duration do you acquire the sensitivity.