Mar 15, 2010

Unconditional love

Unconditional love – it’s quite something, isn’t it? I, for one, find it an immensely potent concept. Something which has the capability to make the most unlikely person thrive; something that I wish each person would experience in his or her lifetime. I claim to love my friends and family unconditionally. But how unconditional is this love, actually?

Is there any such thing as unconditional love? As a concept, it sounds immensely powerful. But in reality, does is even exist? Unconditional positive regard, yes, I’m willing to accept. But I have my doubts about the former. The people I claim to love unconditionally, do I really? I do love them a LOT, but that is not to say that I don’t expect anything in return. If nothing else, I expect to be loved back unconditionally. That itself negates the very basis of the concept, doesn’t it?

I was telling a friend of mine how another super-close friend had fallen almost outta touch over the last few months, when I thought I needed her the most.. And something he said struck a chord…he said..whatever happened to unconditional love? Are they just two words that have ceased to mean anything? That kinda jolted me outta my self-pitying state. Whatever she was doing or not doing…did it have to affect the way I felt for her? Does my love for her depend on anything? On the number of times we speak? On the amount of info we have about each other’s lives? Even if she never called again, would that change the fact that she has been a super friend to me always? He said I should just let her be. Maybe there are things going on in her life that do not allow her to be as much in touch as before. Does that change everything?! I don’t think so. Sometimes the most common-sense things need to be spelled out!

4 comments:

Runjoo said...

i dont really agree with you...but beautiful post! louve the way you have conveyed everything :)

Aditi said...

dont agree wid wat?

Runjoo said...

i think expectations come hand in hand with love...so perhaps unconditional love isnt so unconditional after all

pure-atman said...

nice : ) i agree