Jan 6, 2015

what my 20s have taught me

20s seemed like a distant dream when I was in school. To be honest, I'd never been able to imagine myself beyond the age of 17..that's as OLD as I could get! However, here I am, standing on the brink of 30s… Did time really fly past like it seems now? Or were these the most "happening" years of my life so far? A bit of both actually. Time is funny like that. It seems to drag on one minute and still be gone in a flash...

Anyway, so I was thinking...what have my 20s taught me? Or rather, what have I learnt in my 20s? Here are few of the things that topped the list:


  1. I love my own company more than anything else. Even though I am essentially a people-person and would go insane if I was alone all the time, I really really value the time I get to myself. I don't necessarily 'do' anything in this time...but it's important for me to have at least a few days now and then that are absolutely free of agendas and obligations.
  2. Forever is a relative term. It could last a year, a few years or more. It has proved true for me in the case of friendships and feelings - both good and bad. When I lost Dennis, I was sure the hole in my heart would ache "forever". After 2-3 years, it's not so bad. Hopefully, it will get better :) 
  3. Life isn't fair. Never has been, never will be. Good people will suffer, bad people will thrive. Circumstances will get difficult. Uncertainty will rule. There is an inexplicable amount of suffering out there. 
  4. But despite #3, I believe that all people are capable of loving. Their motivations may not seem justified to everyone, but love does make the world go 'round.
  5. The older you get, the more often you find yourself glancing at the rearview mirror :) I don't think as a kid or even a teen I was so pre-occupied with how things were in the past. But in the recent years, I see my growing-up years with rose tinted glasses. The nostalgia has already started creeping in. (If I live beyond my 40s I am going to be a super annoying parent/grand-parent!) 
  6. Life doesn't quite work out as planned. The grand road map you had envisioned for yourself - dream job, falling in love, lots of travel, financial stability, marriage, kids - it doesn't always work out that way. Or rather, it almost never works out that way. Not to say that nothing works out, but if you are in your mid 20s or beyond, you know what I'm talking about :) 
  7. No matter how grown up you feel today, a few years later you will either laugh or cringe at the memory :P